Two Down And Four To Go!



Here it is Wednesday March the 18th and I've finished my second chemo treatment today. It was a tiring day, but not bad and while siting in the chemo room with the other patients there, I realized how fortunate I am. Some of those folks had been there the day before and would be there again tomorrow. Others had been very sick and were having extra things like potassium added which takes a couple hours more to treatment time. So I just don't have anything at all to complain about. I haven't been sick with nausea or vomiting yet and the side effects that I have had have been mimimal.

It would seem too that going out to eat is something that seems to be the 'norm'' for a lot of chemo patients too, so it was only fitting that Jimmie and I meet Karen at Chili's in Jacksonville for a smorgsasboard of appetizers. What did we do? WE PIGGED OUT! Then Karen brought me back to Jimmie's house because he had to go to work in Jacksonville. As I have said so many times I also fortunate to have some awesome friends.

No doubt getting through cancer treatment is tough, but having a support network of friends is essential and a loving and caring family is important as well. My strong positive friend Jimmie was to the rescue again this time to not only take me to my chemo treatment but to open his fantastic river front home on the "Little Red River" for some quiet rest and relaxation time as well. I was so peaceful coming here this afternoon and just stiing out on the swing watching the river roll, hearing the birds sing and seeing the sunset, how beautiful! So thank you so much my friend!

Yesterday I saw Dr. Hagans and don't have to see him again for three months, DANG IT! I could visit him everyday! But I guess since everything is going great and healing like it should, he has to wean me off a bit. I guess all good things have to come to an end! LOL

Tuesday was a very productive day though and I got a free wig and head coverings from the women's resource centers and I had a great day with my childhood best friend Reba. It's been too long since we spent time together and we promised we would do it more often. No matter where we have been through the years even though we were miles away, our hearts have always been bound as friends forever. She's definetly a true friend cos when she read my blog about losing my hair, she sent me her first email ever. It was sweet and she reminded me of our becoming friends so many years ago and sorry that I was losing my hair but her punch line.."you are not your hair and it will grow back, cheer up it could be your teeth! LOL I love you Reba!"

The good news today Dr. Harrington said I was doing very well, things were going great, my blood counts have been good and she loved the PMA slogan and said she was going to use it herself. Of course she also loved the green wig and remembers Barbara who loaned it to me and said I'm the 4th person to wear the lucky survivor green wig! Some folks said, I'm loving your hair, you should have wore that yestereday, that's so cool, and then some loved the 'faith' cap! At the end of the last couple days, more than ever I am thankful to be alive and I realize that so many people have wonderful hearts and give in their own special ways to help others.

The Care Caps, http://www.ccvols.org/ are free to those who are going through treatment and it's quite an amazing story. Each cap has a little signature of all the people who sewed on that particular cap. Some groups make little pillows you can use to pad your port or surgery site from a seatbelt, others knit caps, or make soft night caps, or turbans, some people donate summer or winter caps. These are all free and as I was recieving these things that some one made somewhere with love, I know that I need to and will find a way to give back too!

ISN'T IT GREAT TO BE ALIVE! No doubt I need to count my blessing each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women's Health Blog Directory