"The Fallout!"


Ever since I knew I was going to have chemo, I've been preparing myself for "the fallout", losing my hair and being bald. Folks would say, "you may not lose your hair" but I've never known anyone who has had breast cancer and gone through chemo that didn't lose their hair, so I just accepted the fact that sooner or later I was going to be bald. I've read about it and others who've been there and done that told me that it would happen a couple weeks after my first chemo and they were all right!

At first I noticed my head was little sore, just like Tina had told me it would be then as I was brushing my hair down after taking my cap off, I noticed a few strands of my short one inch hair falling on my desk at work. That was two weeks and a day after my first chemo. Today all day long my hair has been falling out and since it's so short it's kind of like my dog Charlie when he sheds, I don't know who sheds more. I found myself raking my hair out and laughing at the pile I was making on the arm of the chair.

Getting a small ziplock bag I picked up the white pile of hair that was accumulating on the chair arm and put it in the bag. After I looked in the mirror I realized that I sort of look like a mangy dog..oh my lord, so I'll be visting Michelle's this week to get my head shaved. I wonder when the other bodily hair will start coming out? Am I going to be spared shaving my legs this summer? Whoohoo wouldn't that just be dandy?

Never mind, I'm ready for the "Fallout" I have my caps, scarves, wigs and sunscreen all lined up and ready to go! I have a very special cap to wear from my friend Len who sent me two t-shirts and a pink cap with the letters PMA (positive mental attitude)on them. A PMA is essential when you are about to find out how you look bald! Oh well hair is over rated anyway and maybe when mine comes back it will be curly and thicker!

PMA IS THE ONLY WAY!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in with that PMA. I like the hair in the baggie idea! You are too good!

    Love YOU and praying for you,

    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete

Women's Health Blog Directory