Radiation

Today I had my 11th radiation treatment. Everyone keeps asking me how I feel and if the radiation makes me tired or if there are any bad side effects. In all honesty I really have to say that I don't know. The doctor said it might make me feel tired. Well I felt tired before I started radiation because I had just finished my chemo treatments and had a hysterectomy. He also said there might be some redness or blistering of the skin in the breast area or under my arm. That hasn't happened yet so hopefully that won't be a problem. So all in all I guess radiation is a 'piece of cake' compared to chemo, so whoever it was that told me that, they were right.

I have 22 more treatments to complete this phase of my recovery and then I'll see Dr. Harrington again. After that I should only have to see her about every 3 months for a year or so. I also will have another mammogram in September and see Dr. Hagans my breast surgeon and then I don't know how often I will have to see him for checkups and mammograms. It does at last feel like I can actually almost touch the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a great feeling and I am hoping and praying that things continue to go well and that the cancer stays gone!

Really I'm actually feeling pretty good even though I still have a low energy level. Last week I had a stomach bug and I was so sick. As I was sitting on the throne with a trash can in my arms, sweating like crazy, I thought how ironic that I went through chemo and was never sick. I was also reminded of how fortunate I was to have gone through all my chemo treatments without being sick because I know there are a lot of folks who have been very ill during theirs.

All in all life is good and I'm happy to be in it!

PS: The cyst did have a tumor which was a low grade stage one cancer and since all they do for stage one is to remove it, I don't need any further treatment for that. So I never have to see that Dr. again. Hallejuhah!

1 comment:

  1. hi!

    I'm happy to hear everything is going so well. I hope it stays that way!

    I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients).  I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at Wellsphere.com/health-blogger.  Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you!  The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

    Best,
    Hua

    ReplyDelete

Women's Health Blog Directory